Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How To: Applique T-Shirts and Onesies

As I mentioned before, Darin and I are throwing a party for our family this Sunday. We can't wait! I got the idea to make some applique T's for the treasure chests and thankfully it was much, much simpler than anticipated! Here are the basic steps. Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the process because I didn't know if it would turn out.
  • Washed and dried (without fabric softener) onesies or T-shirts
  • Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold (if you are going to sew around the edges of the applique, use regular strength)
  • Fabric of your choice (I used pirate-themed)
  • Iron
  • Scissors
  • Stencils (I got mine from my girl Martha)
  • a Pen
Start by cutting out a piece of fabric that will fit your stencil. Cut a piece of the Heat-n-Bond a little smaller than your fabric piece. Place the two together so that the front side of the fabric is facing you and the paper side of the Bond is on your work surface. Iron for about 10 seconds with the Bond side up (I don't think it matters, though) until the two are bonded together. Trace your stencil onto the Bond and cut out. Remove the paper backing and you will see the glue on the back of your fabric, it won't be sticky. Place on your onesie and iron in sections for 10 seconds.

All of these instructions are on the Bond itself. I bought mine in bolt-form at Wolly World. I got a yard for $1.97 which sounds like a bargain to me, but who knows.

Three Onesies for Nolan


Excuse Sam's blankie...

I tied each one/set with some twine and the washing instructions
Easy peasy! I can't wait for Joann Fabrics to open up in Folsom!

No comments:

Post a Comment